Star fruit Upside Down Cake


When you’re new to being gluten-free (or new to cooking, for that matter), pre-packaged mixes are a godsend. Bob’s Red Mill, Pamela’s, and now more mainstream folks like Betty Crocker (I used Betty’s gluten-free yellow cake here) make brownie, bread, and pancake mixes that are darn good versions of their gluten-y counterparts. They’re a great starting point for newbies and good if you’re in a pinch, but in my humble opinion, if you’re a gluten-free baker worth your salt you’ll have at least 5 types of flours in your cupboards at all times.

I’m often gifted box mixes (in lieu of gluten-y baked treats) by folks in my life, a gesture I really appreciate. It makes a lot of sense to give a gluten-free person the gift of something good that they can feel good eating, but I have to admit that the overachieving baker in me has a hard time not wanting to “do better” than a box mix.

What I’m saying is, this cake was inspired by my baking neurosis and Betty Crocker, which turns out to be a GREAT combo. One of the first things that I noticed after moving into my new apartment was that the corner produce stand had star fruit 2 for $1. Priorities. I got a pair and let them ripen up. (Fun fact: they’re ripe when any green on the flesh is replaced by yellow.)

I have no memory of ever eating a pineapple upside down cake, but it seemed like the only appropriate way to showcase the rather adorable star fruit. I made a few adjustments to Betty’s recipe, but not too many. This still has the ease of a box mix, while the final result satisfies my inner wanna-be pastry chef.

Starfruit Upside Down Cake

Adapted from here and here. If you’re not gluten-free, or you recoil at the mention of “Betty Crocker,” use your favorite recipe for a single, 8-9 inch round yellow cake here. If star fruit are cost-prohibitive where you are (or you just can’t find them) I imagine another soft-fleshed fruit would work. Finally, I’ve been on a panela kick lately, but you could try brown sugar, not as tightly packed.

2 star fruit, seeds removed and sliced between ¼ and 1/8 inch thick

½ cup panela (packed), chopped
¼ cup butter

1 box Betty Crocker gluten-free yellow cake mix
2/3 cup whole milk
1 stick butter, softened
2 eggs
2 T applesauce (unsweetened is best)
1 t ground cardamom
2 t vanilla extract (make sure it’s gluten-free)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Arrange the sliced star fruit along the bottom of a non-stick 8 or 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine ¼ cup butter with the panela, Heat, stirring occasionally only until completely combined. Remove from heat.
3. Pour the panela and butter mixture into the cake pan, directly over the star fruit. Set aside.
4. Mix the remaining ingredients for 30 seconds on low until combined, then on med-high for about 2 minutes
5. Pour into the cake pan, over the star fruit/panela mixture.
6. Bake until the top is brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edge, between the edge of the cake and the pan.
8. Place a plate over the cake and flip to turn it out on to a plate. Be careful, some of the caramel-y liquid may splash out when you invert. Serve warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More